The Jagged Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Reviews Thread
Reviews Thread EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:56 pm by TommyDGNR8

» Outdoorfest , Wills o' nats , Huddersfield.
Reviews Thread EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 12:51 pm by PHIL

» The guys are back!!!!!!!!!
Reviews Thread EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 am by PHIL

» poll of tracks we do!!
Reviews Thread EmptyWed Nov 08, 2006 3:00 am by di

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Reviews Thread

+3
PHIL
ds
TommyDGNR8
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Reviews Thread Empty Reviews Thread

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Come on, troops - let's have your reviews of the boys' shows...
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2006-10-02

http://www.frozen-over.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Reviews Thread Empty Re: Reviews Thread

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Waterloo Bowling Club. It's not the first place you'd think of for a romantic assignation but, way back in 2000, that's where my then-girlfriend wanted to spend Sunday afternoon.

"There's a really good band playing - I've seen them before; they do all the sort of stuff you like!"

I recall being quite impressed by the turnout and laughing when I heard Journey's "Escape" album being played beforehand. Did this lot really think they should have Journey supporting them?

The band - named "Impossible Dream", or something equally banal - hit the stage to a decent response and proceeded to turn in pretty good versions of a variety of AOR and soft rock classics. To be honest, they weren't that memorable; the singer could hold a tune and the guitarist desperately wanted to be Eddie Van Halen. They should have let him do "Eruption" and get it out of his system, but he had to settle for "Jump".

After an hour or so, the singer announced that they were taking a break and that, later, he'd be joined onstage by some old friends for a reunion of sorts. The buzz picked up.

The band which took the stage in the second half was a different kettle of fish altogether. The chemistry between then was plain to see; a tight, cohesive sound with strong vocal harmonies - now I was sold.

Six and a half years later, Jagged Edge are back at the Waterloo. The crowd's big again, but now the faces are familiar. The setlist is as strong as ever, with the usual numbers from Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Thunder and Pink Floyd jostling for space with more than usual from Journey (as the boys perfect their set for the Journey Convention later this month) and a couple of not-played-in-yonks numbers ("Jump" and "Summer of '69") on which the band were joined by their former bassist (an increasingly regular occurence - there seems to be a never-ending stream of ex-Jaggies!).

The lightshow seemed to work particularly well on this occasion, but the main thing was the sound - absolutely top-drawer; the best I've heard the boys sound in ages (hangovers not withstanding!)

Oh, and that girlfriend? She hasn't been for quite some time. These days I go to gigs with my wife.

Funny, they look a lot alike...
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:11 am

Rock 4 Kids - Colne Valley Leisure Centre, 24 March 2007

Ah, dear, dear Slawit. It's a funny place; whenever I visit, I feel as if I've just doubled the gene pool.

And labels are funny things, especially when applied to music. If you've never heard a band before, all your preconceptions are built on the label someone has stuck on them. We all do it; music is one of the few things which haven't been "PC"ed yet - its still acceptable to dislike various types of music; you don't have to tolerate other people's (lack of) taste and accommodate their wishes; you can just tell them to **** off and turn your Walkman up to 11.

Hence, without fear of imprisonment, I can state that hip-hop makes me run screaming from the room, that opera leaves me cold and that MariahHoustonDion is the three-headed beast in the Gospel According to Tommy.

Two labels always make me nervous, though. The first is "alternative"; alternative to what, exactly? The second is "Indie".

Now, I'm old enough to remember what "Indie" meant; it was a post-punk thing, independent record labels releasing material the big boys wouldn't touch. It was Postcard (Orange Juice, Aztec Camera), Rough Trade (Scritti Politti, Spizz Energi) and Factory (Joy Division). Not any more; "indie" these days seems to mean blokes with guitars playing vaguely 60s-revivalist stuff; The Answer and Kaiser Chiefs have a lineage that goes back through The Jam to The Small Faces and The Kinks; a very London-centric commercial sound; and the big labels love it. What's "indie" about that?

So you see, Friends of Dave had all this to contend with before they'd even played a note, and all because of a label. They opened the show with a Snow Patrol number and, right away, you could tell they were enjoying themselves (even if they looked as if they should be in the pub along the road watching the England game). What's not to love about a band with Lee Hurst's long-lost brothers playing lead and rhythm guitars? Material was as you'd expect - Kaisers, Killers etc - a good start to the night.

Next up was Vital Signs. They were billed as "Colne Valley's answer to The Commitments". Now, there's another label for you. One which displays a singular lack of ambition. You wouldn't get a comedian calling himself "Lindley's Jim Davidson"; you wouldn't get on the shortlist at Home FM if you called yourself "The Simon Bates of Dalton".

Simon Cowell would have had a field day with them; this was really, really bad karaoke. Hook up a dynamo to the recently-departed James Brown because he's spinning in his grave a damn sight faster than those turbines on the Civic Centre roof; "I Feel Good" appeared to start in 3 different keys. They almost rescued the set with a politically-corrected "Sweet Home Alabama" but, from there on in, they clearly started making it up as they went along. The random song selector threw up Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Bryan Adams (I giggled at the thought of Dave hastily rewriting the Jaggies' setlist), Oasis and - horror of horrors - REM (the appearance of a mandolin onstage these days has the same effect a saxophone used to because, just as "sax = Baker Street", "mandolin = Losing My Religion"). The cherry on the cake was the inclusion of "Pride" by the most over-rated band in living memory, U2. This was clearly shoe-horned in because the singer thinks he's Bono. Someone needs to tell him he isn't.

I thought the mini-moshers in the crowd were really cute. Everyone should have one as a pet, but they're messy little critters, aren't they?

It's over 20 years since my college mate, Brian, started raving about this new, super-charged rock music he called "thrash". He dragged me along to a gig in Glasgow (2 quid, if memory serves; bear in mind that it used to cost a fiver to see the top bands at the Apollo at this time, kids; none of your £80-to-stand-in-a-field nonsense back then) featuring two up-and-coming acts of the genre. Anthrax were really funny. Noisy as hell, but heavy on the humour. Metallica scared the living bejesus out of me.

Icarus very much reminded me of Anthrax. The image is straight out of 1985 - Dom should have arrived on a skateboard! Thrash musicianship is under-rated; the key and tempo changes are legion and unpredictable to the casual ear but Icarus were very tight; a very talented bunch of guys (much more so than they deserve to be at that age). I was particularly impressed by the brave but expertly executed cover of Maiden's "Phantom of the Opera" (even if it was a bit rushed to begin with; it's fast enough guys, you don't need to prove anything!) and the great Sabbath medley. Nice touches of humour; they didn't take themseves too seriously under the lights, though singer/lead Sam could smile a bit more off-stage! Oh, bassist Dan looks like Captain Caveman.

Y'know what? I'm going to let someone else write up the Jaggies' set. I'll only make one comment; "Faithfully" has the potential to be very, very special, but that's my school disco memories you're playing with, boys - it needs a bit of polish yet...

Whatever happened to number 48?
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Do I have to do all the work around here??

OK, Rock Cafe, 12 April...

The Rock Café's usually a nice spot for a quiet pint of an afternoon, but I really don't rate it as a live venue, especially for the Jaggies. The sound's always a bit iffy (moreso than normal, tonight) and the boys deserve a proper stage. Hey, just my opinion…

Higher Place is a great set opener (as a Perry fan, I've never really rated Augeri-period Journey, but this is an exception) and leads us into a fine set of JE standards with a few not-heard-in-a-while tracks to keep us on our toes; it's great to hear More Than A Feeling and Take It On The Run again.

One thing the Rock Café does allow is for us to study the craftsmanship that goes into a JE show. Getting up-close'n'personal makes it easy to pick out the different parts in the harmony that we take for granted; it means we feel Alan's (under-appreciated?) drumming; it lets us taste the sweet, sweet chemistry the boys have (sorry, this is starting to sound all NME, isn't it?)

You know the band are on form when they're ready for a break before you are; tonight's is one such performance. Dan, whether producing a note-perfect Schon reproduction or improvising like crazy over Dave's lush keyboards is absolutely smokin', his fingers utterly mesmerising as he fits more notes to the bar than Mariah "warbling harridan" Carey.

The second half is a romp; Sweet Child o'Mine, a version of Faithfully which is a massive step up from the Slaithwaite show, Give Me All Your Love Tonight (look, Whitesnake are not, never have been and never will be "heavy", OK?) and the obligatory Bon Jovi singalong lead us into Dan's solo and the encores.

I love the change in dynamic the band undergoes when Dave'n'Dave swap roles; the gum-popping bassist becomes a different person when he takes the lead and (literally) lets his hair down. Old Percy Plant himself would love tonight's Rock'n'Roll and ...Rosie was a blast as always.

Thanks guys, great show. What's that? Time for one more?

Oh boy, Girl Can't Help It is an earworm to keep me going until…

Reviews Thread Jagged

OH YA BEAUTY! I've got tickets for Sunday!
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:03 am

Y'know how sometimes you put something down and you can see in your mind's eye where you left it but you can't quite put your hand on it?

Maybe it's my age, but I did that with a word recently; it was at the Slaithwaite show and I was buggered if I could find it. This afternoon, it popped back into my mind, but more of that later.

Winkle Club Benefit. Golcar British Legion, 15 April 2007.

Unusually, we got to hear a bit of the boys' soundcheck today and rather enlightening it was, too. The brothers Rosingana have a very exciting version of The Trees by Rush hidden away in their not inconsiderable repertoire which I'd like to hear and I really, really want to hear all of Carry On Wayward Son, because that teaser was just awesome.

I expected this afternoon's set to lean heavily on that from Thursday and so it turned out, but the variations were just enough to keep us from getting complacent; we had Journey, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, REO Speedwagon, Pink Floyd; all good, crowd-pleasing stuff in the first half. In the second, Don't Stop Believing and a bunch of oldies - (Love is Like) Oxygen, Jump and Bed of Roses - were highlights, but I don't want to spend too much time on the songs this time out (other than to complain about the absence of Faithfully).

Big kudos to the sound guys - this was streets ahead of the Rock Cafe sound throughout - the harmonies sounded great and the instrumental/vocal mix was spot-on.

Dave Bamforth excelled on his big ballads; Don't Want to Miss... (NOT my favourite song, normally) and Bed of Roses sounded better than they have in ages; I don't think I'm the first to suggest that the Jaggies' Bed of Roses is better than the original.

Anyway, "Soaring" was the word I mislaid. Careless of me, really - it doesn't hide itself particularly well between "soap" and "soave" in the OED - but I couldn't find it until this afternoon.

"Soaring" is the word I wanted to (indeed, am about to) apply to Dave Rosingana's backing vocals; his Wanted, Dead or Alive could strip paint at 50 yards; you're left wondering if he really needs that microphone.

Best things about today? A lot to choose from. The best news for the band is that I heard a fair few Jaggie-virgins saying they'd be back. My good lady was delighted to see Dave B's leather strides make a rare appearance in the first half (honestly, if it wasn't for Lady Bamforth, I'd find this really worrying).

Worst thing? Well, it's probably the last gig we'll be at until Huddstock, so someone else is going to have to contribute to this thread between now and then.

Now, can someone tell me what a winkle club does?
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ds Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:49 pm

Tommy

Thanks once again for yet another entertaining review - I think everyone who attended Golcar on Sunday thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we look forward to doing it all again next year.

The guitar wizardry of Danny is plain for all to see and whilst Malmsteen`s "Adagio" is currently a perfect vehicle for his skills, it would be great to hear him and his brother tackle "Trees" which they have tantalised us with at the last two soundchecks. Equally, a full band attack on something like Vai`s "Liberty" or "For the Love of God" would also be welcome.

I was surprised to read that you had not heard the full version of "Wayward Son" before, but rest assured this will be remedied in the near future

What is a Winkle Club ??? Golcar is a small (about 12, I think) dedicated group of people who raise money via various events, and then allocate the monies raised to worthy causes within their own community. They may "contribute" towards a stairlift, or a ramp for people with mobility problems, or a musical instrument for an under priviledged child etc. Their efforts are commendable ,and we thank them for organising Sundays event so successfully.

Thanks to you also for your continued support. ds

ds
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2006-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  PHIL Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 am

dear all,

i totally agree with Dave comments and music proposals,

I also would like to thank you for your continued support.

Cheers Phil. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce bounce Basketball Basketball
PHIL
PHIL
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-26

http://www.jaggededge.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Once upon a time, in those happy, clappy carefree years BM (before marriage) we all used to have season tickets at Leeds Road. Part of the masochistic ritual of being a Town fan was to take in at least one away game per season. These occassions, awaydays to near-neighbours (Bradford, Sheffield, Barnsley), journeys into the unknown (Bristol, Stoke) or expeditions into deepest, darkest Lancashire (Oldham, Rochdale) were all unique experiences; exciting and terrifying in equal measures and never, ever disappointing.

It was the spirit of these old times which took us to

Hartlepool Working Men's Club, 12 May 2007

We approached the venue with trepidation; it resembles those "secure facilities" the BBC reporters in Baghdad broadcast from - thick, brick-proof glazing and surrounded by an 8-foot high steel fence; "Toto, I don't think we're in Gledholt anymore."

Fortunately, we found some familiar, friendly faces in the hall and settled down for a night of high jinx and laughter.

"Eyes down for a full house!"

Oh dear. Albert Haller the Bingo Caller has been booked as support act.

Someone cracked a joke.

Someone laughed.

"A little order, please!"

The command was issued in the same tone of voice (albeit different accent) I last heard about 20 years ago when a 7'6" biker in a Glasgow eastend pub told me I'd spilled his pint. I didn't argue then and I'm considerably slower and less pissed these days.

We shut up.

The band played their first set to a generally receptive if not exactly enthusiastic audience. Old Albert, doing his best impression of that guy in the Wheeltappers' and Shunters' Social Club (I'm not the only one who remembers that, right?) had said that they'd be playing for 30 minutes, but thankfully, that message hadn't reached the guys who gave us a normal-length mix of Journey, Jovi, Aerosmith and Boston before a really good and appropriately-spaced-out-feeling Comfortably Numb.

As soon as the stage was clear, Albert was at it again.

How long? Half an hour? I don't know, I'd lost the will to live.

They do take their bingo seriously in Hartlepool.

The second set opened and I was surprised at the number of unlikely-looking people who were word-perfect in Journey-ese; don't judge a rocker by her floral-patterned Etam dress, I guess.

The dance floor was kept full with G'n'R, Free, Bad Company and Bon Jovi numbers and a number of requests were being passed to Dave B by now; happy birthdays, happy anniversaries etc. I must confess, I wanted one of them to say "Can you play The Crystal Chandeliers" but the only surprise was the jammed version of Smoke On The Water the boys knocked out.

Special credit to Dave R here - his, erm, improvised lyric probably went un-noticed among the drinking hoards. How can someone with so much hair not know the words to Smoke...? Laughing

A somewhat curtailed Adagio led into Rock'n'Roll and ...Rosie as usual; a rockin' good end to an interesting night.

Nice to know away matches are still fun.

Reviews Thread Music
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  phils Mon May 14, 2007 6:00 am

Owton Manor is the best club in Hartlepool for rock bands, you'll storm it, and i'll be there to witness it. cheers

phils
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ds Mon May 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi Phils

Sorry to disappoint you once again, but, only today, our Agent has pulled us from Owton Manor on 3rd August and has booked us in at Steels Social, Sunderland instead. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We will definitely be at Owton Manor before the end of the year and the date will go on the gig list as soon as it is confirmed.Very Happy Very Happy

Look forward to meeting/seeing you guys from Infinity soon.

Dave

ds
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  phils Wed May 16, 2007 6:00 am

ds wrote:Hi Phils

Sorry to disappoint you once again, but, only today, our Agent has pulled us from Owton Manor on 3rd August and has booked us in at Steels Social, Sunderland instead. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We will definitely be at Owton Manor before the end of the year and the date will go on the gig list as soon as it is confirmed.Very Happy Very Happy

Look forward to meeting/seeing you guys from Infinity soon.

Dave

Even better as Steels is much closer to home than Owton Manor. Yee haw.

phils
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:30 am

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong...

Reviews Thread Castle

Well, maybe not, but the Huddstock crowd was into three figures when we arrived, and half of them seemed to be the Still Buzzin' entourage!

First band, 10 Floors Below Society were well into their set and my first thought was, "Oh god, I hope we're not in for an afternoon of Coldplay wannabes".

Actually, TFBS didn't make me want to kill anyone; decent tunes, well played. The singer looked a bit uncomfortable stuck behind his keyboard, mind. Or maybe it was just that he looks uncannily like William'n'Harry's locked-in-the-attic secret brother?

Next were Still Buzzin'; our reason for being there early. This lot have been heavily plugged on these boards, haven't they? A good, fun set which led to the invention of our pastime for the afternoon – Edge Bingo, or the "what songs won't the Jaggies be playing?" game.

Reviews Thread Stillbuzzin

Very good covers of When September Ends and I Predict A Riot were overshadowed by a storming version of Hanging On he Telephone. Guys, you have no idea how close you came to being burned inside a giant wicker Debbie Harry. Covering Blondie is dangerously close to sacrilege in my book, but you pulled it off – back of the net!

Singer Nat has a fabulous set of pipes - thought about having a go at any Annie Lennox numbers?

Oh, yeah - scratch Jaggie song number 1 - It's My Life

With all due respect to those who'd already played, Red Star were the first act of he day who looked like a rock band. The singer, Will, prowls the stage like the bastard offspring of Johnny Lydon and Joey Ramone and sports the best sideburns since Charlie George. His attitude is love-me-or-loathe-me-you-will-not-ignore-me and, on top of all of this, he can actually sing! The acapella introduction to the set was almost prog rock-like and the music, although obviously heavily influenced by punk, Oasis and assorted other Manchester bands, owes more to Sunshine of Your Love than Wonderwall.

Reviews Thread Redstar

Me likey!

Oh, Red Star also gave us our first mad dancer of the day, a borderline-anorexic named Gordon.

Next up were Chasing Amy, a band popular at the YorkVic, apparently.

They opened with Teenage Kicks which, I have to say, was a bit creepy coming from a bloke on the wrong side of forty. Among unusual covers (I have never heard anyone play a Cult cover - Li’l Devil was pretty damned good), the Amy boys went overboard in helping us chalk off songs from the Jaggie set as favourites like Sweet Child o' Mine and Whole Lotta Rosie were "borrowed". The vocalist sounded a lot like Feargal Sharkey on the higher-pitched numbers and a bit like Larry the Lamb on more than one occasion.

Reviews Thread Chasingamy

Now, here's a confession; I likes me a bit of well-executed soul/ska. The whole Two Tone thing blew up when I was at high school and, much to the wife's dismay, I know all the words to Too Much Too Young to this day.

Reviews Thread Northernbeats

I had high hopes for Northern Beats, but they didn't quite scratch me where it itched. "Best dancers of the day" to their little group of followers, though, and their guitarist wins the "least rock'n'roll name at the festival" award. Cecil, mate, you need a nickname.

Remember that first time you bumped into one of your old schoolteachers in the pub and it took a few seconds to recognise them in unusual surroundings? Top marks to whoever lifted Give Me What’s Mine for interval music – it sounded fabulous through the big PA! Give me a shout if you want the rest of the album – a real overlooked 80s gem.

But then…

Aaargh! My ears! Bleeding! The noise! Make it stop!

It's official. I am Getting Old. It is the duty of youth to produce music which their elders do not understand. When they fail to do this, we end up with a hundred Coldplay soundalikes.

Reviews Thread Ridgevex

Ridgevex fulfil their duty admirably and I salute them for that.

But can they do it somewhere else in future?

Oh, mad Gordon had a dance partner by now – a somewhat larger chap the sun was slowly turning into a pink Tellytubby. I’ll bet he suffered come Sunday morning.

Bongos and a trumpet made an appearance on-stage and my heart sank just a little.

Reviews Thread Steampowered

From what I could gather, Steam Powered are a sort of local blues/jazz/funk supergroup. Sounding like Robert Johnson meets Carlos Santana this is not normally my idea of fun but, given the weather and the vibe of the day (man!), a perfect fit.

Anyone get a full house in Edge Bingo? I was waiting for More Than A Feeling for my fourth corner.

Jagged Edge opened with the Higher Place/Runaway/Don't Want To Miss A Thing trifecta and, for the first time all afternoon, Dave B was looking chilled (stressful day behind the desks, eh?).

Reviews Thread Twodaves2

I don't know how well it fed back to the stage, so I'll tell you - that bloody Aerosmith song got the biggest, most overwhelmingly positive reception of anything, by anyone, all afternoon.

Reviews Thread Davedan2

Danny's solo was awesome. I think he got The Bumper Book Of Guitar Hero Poses for Christmas as he made use of the extra stage space to throw all the shapes from Aldo Nova to Zakk Wylde.

Reviews Thread Twodaves

Love Walked In led to Separate Ways (top vocal from Dave R) and Don't Stop Believing before Comfortably Numb inspired all the stoners to light up (again). Danny owned the stage.

Reviews Thread Davedan1

Way too short a set, but that's the nature of festivals.

Modeliste were nex...

Oh who cares? The headliners have left the building...

Footnote:

Anyone else been watching Any Dream Will Do? We got home in time to see Lee doing a damned fine Living On A Prayer and it got me thinking; that Will from Red Star? He could be Joseph.

Reviews Thread Teletubby
The pink Tellytubby moshing to Journey.
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for the review Tommy, and we hope we might entice you to a STILL BUZZIN gig soon. Check out our website for our future gigs!

As for the rest of the day, the bands that stuck out for me (except the obvious) were 10 floors below society and Steam Powered with their funky soul set.afro

Jason
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2006-09-28

http://www.stillbuzzin.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Remember Wurzel Gummidge? Well I've got my grumpy head on today.

"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

That was the slogan on the back of a Kiss t-shirt I used to own (Creatures of the Night-era, I think).

I felt positively ancient this morning, my ears still ringing from last night's onslaught.

Queensbury Conservative Club is a small venue and has the potential to host a very enjoyable, intimate club-show, but last night's wasn't it; as I say about 16 times a day to our darling daughter, "turn it DOWN!"

Volume aside, there were other problems;
* It's slightly ironic that the boys' first show in a smoke-free venue (OK, Slawit sports centre excepted; you know what I mean) was the first time I've seen Dave B's voice dry up on him.
* The stage ceiling was just too low for Dave R who looked fearful of banging his head on it at times.
* Strange crowd.

It was a fairly standard set, so I'll skip on the play-by-play. The sound balance (especially on the vocal harmonies) on Higher Place was absolutely spot on and had me really excited for a great show but, by the time Danny had solo-ed out ...Miss A Thing the problems had kicked in and it was all a bit muddy.

Then Mr Bamforth put himself on my hitlist.

"This is the point in the show where we do a cheesy number like Boston, or this one by REO Speedwagon".

Cheesy.

Cheesy?

CHEESY???

Look, I try not to take my music too seriously. Back in the day I had a perm and even appeared in public wearing spandex trousers, so I'm in no position to take my music seriously. But, you do not, ever, call Boston "cheesy". Not when you play Thunder covers.

Not without terrible retribution being exacted.

Sweet Child O'Mine was accompanied by a young lady channelling mad-dancer-Gordon from Huddstock. If you're reading - yes, we did notice you almost go A-o-T. I laughed. Sorry.

Faithfully is really coming together musically - it gets better with each performance - but Dave's voice was starting to go by this point and the vocal sounded a bit forced. I know you don't want to do a straight copy of the original, but just a little gentler?

Biggest surprise of the night was the crowd suddenly waking up after ...Rosie and demanding another encore - they'd been pretty unresponsive for the rest of the night, but it gave the guys the opportunity to give us another.

They chose More Than a Feeling.

Cheesy, huh?

Next home gig isn't for about 10 weeks - I suspect we'll squeeze in an awayday before then!

Reviews Thread Cheesydave
An Edam sings Thunder. Yesterday.

Edited 11/07/07 to correct mistake no-one noticed!
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:40 am

Decisions, decisions.

You know what it's like - sometimes circumstances conspire and you're presented with a choice. What to do?

The chance of a night away in St Anne's combined with a Jaggies show in Blackpool seemed like a good idea but we arrived just in time to catch the local news telling us that the illuminations were being switched on by Dr Who and that there was an open-air gig on the prom by Natalie Imbrunpronouncable, G-g-g-gareth Gates, Daniel Beddingfield's slightly-less-annoying sister and McFly.

Blimey. Four chart-toppers (OK, Natalie's never had a number one, but she's had two number twos*) PLUS David Tennant for free, or pay a quid to see Jagged Edge?

No contest, really. Until the day the Rosinganas split to join Gareth's backing band (cover of My Generation, maybe?).

Faced with a Blackpool full, not only of pissed-up stag/hen parties but of families there to see the lights being switched on, we were slightly stunned to land an empty parking space about 25 yards from the Royal Oak. The pub is a big, imposing building in what would once have been quite a prestigious location in Blackpool's heyday. These days it's just a great big town centre pub on a major junction with very little convenient parking, so the evening looked like it was starting well.

Greetings and salutations were exchanged and the boys hit the stage in front of a medium-sized crowd. Dave B had been enthusing before the show about his new, more portable PA kit. The sound tonight was marvellous, so he's quite entitled to be pleased with both kit and crew.

After Journey, Jovi etc, the first treat of the night was an absolutely storming version of Styx's Blue Collar Man. In this country, Styx (along with REO, Journey and Foreigner) tend to be best-known for their gentler numbers, but they were a sensational pomp-rock band and BCM is possibly one of their finest moments. A great choice (those of you who don't know it will pick up on it very quickly indeed) and a song destined to become a Jaggie favourite, I feel.

A surpise airing of Poison's Every Rose Has Its Thorn brought the tempo down nicely for Comfortably Numb and a sizable chunk of the crowd went ape for Dan's guitar work.

That was noticible; the crowd were very into the music. There was none of the stand-offish "too cool to bop" nonsense I've seen at other venues - these guys were enjoying themselves and were very appreciative of the talent on display.

The second half featured (I've finally seen it and, boy, was it worth the wait!) Carry On, Wayward Son and then a guest performance by young Jo Shorten. Now, I'd been warned about this. In fact, dear reader, a lesser man might've been intimidated by the massed ranks of the Shorten family who confronted your reviewer at the interval. He would be fair, wouldn't he? He wouldn't be too harsh? Please?

I'm going to upset someone, aren't I?

Sweet Child o' Mine isn't one of my favourites, but Jo nailed it. Just as well for Dave B that she only performs in Blackpool.

The seventies stuff led into the linga-longa-Jovi spot and Dan's solo then the new-look Dave Rosingana took centre stage for his lung-busters. I won't spoil the surprise for those who haven't seen him yet, but think "Gary Moore's better looking younger brother".

The crowd were pretty rabid by now and another, really well-deserved, encore was demanded.

In summary; excellent set, great sound, fab crowd. A really, really good show. And we had the golden mile pretty much to ourselves to see the illuminations on the way back. Only downer is I think I've caught Dave B's lurgy.

See you all at the Waterloo...

* Yes, I looked this up. I might be a bit of a music geek, but I have no knowledge of the charts post-Duran Duran-ish.
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 am

The incredible shrinking venue.

Sunday 23 September; back to the Waterloo and we watched this show from the middle of the hall instead of our customary back corner. What a difference! The place is tiny!

The Brothers flicked my geek switch (again) with a snatch of Discovery from 2112 during the warm-up. I wish they’d stop doing that because I can’t help but sing along and I’m no Geddy Lee.

The boys opened old-school stylee with It’s My Life but, halfway into the first chorus, silence.

Yep, complaints from the neighbours have resulted in a decibel meter being installed at the Waterloo. 90dB and you’re out.

Assorted wire-jiggling later and we restarted; Alan reduced to one bass drum, Dave S playing bassless (or at least less-bass) keyboards, the others just grooving gently. Did it sound good? Of course it did.

Talkers. I loathe talkers but I had them right in my line of sight. Dan was rolling out his …Miss A Thing solo and some muppet decided this would be a good time to try chatting up the lassie on the other side of the table. Made me want to grab him by his sticky-out ears and repeatedly bang his head on the table while shouting “this guy’s got more talent in his split ends than you’ve got in your entire miserable body so watch and marvel you fu…………………”

<Rant interrupted by decibel meter. Normal service will resume shortly.>

Right, sorry about that. Blue Collar Man went down well and the Be Good To Yourself/Anyway You Want It double made up for the absence of Higher Place. Throw in some more Bon Jovi, a bit of REO and, before you knew it, we were into Comfortably Numb and break time.

Manchester United vs José-less Chelsea on the telly. It’s hard to decide who to boo more. It speaks volumes for the boys that there was absolutely no dissent whatsoever when the screens were switched off for the second half; one of the biggest games of the season reduced to mere filler between sets – not many bands could claim that.

Second half saw Ian Roper from Storm guesting on Summer of ’69 then the usual party pieces kept the dancefloor jumping; G’n’R, Boston, Free (complete with extended funky intro as Danny took a comfort break), Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Journey – you know the score by now.

Rock'n'Roll was sacrificed to make room for Bed of Roses (probably a good move given the decibel meter) but to complain about this would just be picky.

Pick. Pick. Pick. Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ds Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:22 am

Tommy

Yet another excellent, witty and accurate review of our gig at Waterloo Bowling Club.

Your request that other people should contribute a report from time to time seems to have fallen on deaf ears so it looks as if you will have to continue to share your journalistic talents with us.

See you at Slaithwaite next Saturday.

ds

ds
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:34 am

Was also there at the B.C but you guys dont need me to tell you how good you are, i keep coming so that says it all.Sorry had to have early exit, kids were moaning... tut tut they havent got there musical taste finely tuned as yet!

I reckon Dave would have packed up and gone home had that poisenous little flashing thing above the bar had stopped us one more time!

so next up Colne Valley Leisure Centre... go easy on us tommy, we did what you said and added a song to our set... see you scare us into choosing a song.

See you all there. thanks again dave for coming last night and your comment in our guest book.

tara bounce

Jason
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:58 am

a few thankyous
First of and most of all Dean, the drummer we met at 6pm and stood in for martin so well.

Secondly to DB for giving us the opertunity to support Jagged Edge. i dont think we let you down.
Thanks to Monty, You rock man. im learning all the time from you and its all good!

Thankyou to Dave Keys for your continued support and your comments in our guest book.

Thanks to all th jaggies that supported us

finally a massive thanks to Dave Rosingana for doing that dance during let me entertain you. Dave You Rock cheers

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jason
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Reviews Thread Empty "LIVEWIRED" - Colne Valley Sports Centre, 6 Octobe

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:42 pm

"Man With Guitar" is one of the more enduring motifs of pop music. From Leadbelly and Robert Johnson through Elvis (-ish) and Buddy Holly to Bob Dylan and James Blunt, all some people need is a acoustic six string and a bit of self belief.

Ben Brown started without us and I was a bit surprised to arrive to him singing to an essentially empty hall. Everyone brings their own little clique to these shows, so where was his? Turns out they were hiding near the back; can't've made it easy for him as he turned out a mixed set of covers and his own compositions.

I've already mentioned James Blunt and I'll do it again. Ben Brown is every bit as good as James Blunt. Ben Brown is, if anything, a better singer than James Blunt. Ben Brown has a far less-punchable face than James Blunt. In short, Ben Brown could be the next James Blunt, BUT, do we need another James Blunt? Do we, for that matter, need the one we've already got?

If he got nothing else from this performance, I hope Ben learned a little about hooking his audience. The version of Nothing Compares 2U which closed his set grabbed the sparse crowd like nothing before; slotting it in earlier in the set might've got him more of the attention he deserved.

Oh, and top marks for getting narked at an apple juice container - that's quality Grumpy Old Man fodder.

Project Sunset were, in a previous existence, Pinstripe - one of the bands recommended by Huddstock noise merchants Ridgevex. At the time, this did not inspire us to hang around; it felt a bit like an invitation to a pool party from Michael Barrymore.

They bill themselves as a dance group, but the first couple of tracks betrayed influence from The Clash and Japan which was too stong to ignore. A few white-boy-rap and heavy riffs spread on top couldn't disguise the fact that there were definitely tunes in there trying to get out.

The third song sounded like a DJ Notalent remix of something that already sounded cheesy when it was first played in Ibiza 20 years ago and then the show went a bit "meh!" to these ears - recycled Orb/Orbital/EMF signatures which drifted into late-night chatshow theme tune territory on more than one occassion. Thankfully, the last song pulled it back and the set finished on a high.

On the whole, these guys are more talented than their material demonstrates. Granted, it's not easy stuff to play in a live environment (well, not at eight-o'clock where the punters are sober, anyway) but a bit more effort on the sound rather than the mood might just take them to another level; definitely one to watch.

Extra comment from the good lady - Noah, the people on the floor are the ones who have paid to see you. You can see your bandmates any time, so face front!

Still Buzzin had a stand-in drummer for the night having carelessly mislaid Martin.

(Can I tell my drummer jokes, please?)

Those of you who have been paying attention will already know that, like Project Sunset before them, SB played Huddstock, but what a transformation.

(They're really good, promise!)

This set was streets ahead of the field in June - vocals more polished, instrumental breaks more confident, harmonies tighter; an altogether much improved performance.

(What do you mean, "Alan's bigger than me"? EVERYBODY'S bigger than me!)

They say the pen is mightier than the sword, well this geek on the internet is a firm believer in the power of the keyboard and will flag up any flimsy piece of evidence which might just support his point of view so, ahem...

QUOTE:
thought about having a go at any Annie Lennox numbers?

Was I right or was I right? Thorn In My Side was fab - a really strong showcase for Natz with not-to-be-overlooked harmony work from Paul.

(Did you hear about the drummer who locked the keys in the van?)

They slipped in a few songs I wasn't familiar with (damn these pesky kids and their modern beat combos!) before Let Me Entertain You brought out the night's obligatory mad dancer. I would have given him credit (and abuse), but Jason beat me to it.

(It took him half an hour to get the bassist out.)

Dave B's got a new jacket which makes him look like one of the slightly-camp gladiators from Arnie's film The Running Man. It's as well he took it off onstage; I was sweating cobs just watching.

The sadly truncated Jagged Edge set galloped along from It's My Life and Runaway through ...Miss A Thing (Dave B in particularly good voice), Wanted and Blue Collar Man to Comfortably Numb which sat uncomfortably (did you see what I did there?) in the middle of the break-less set.

Sweet Child... filled the dancefloor then - is it fair to say that Dave R's vocal on Separate Ways was smokin'? Yep, the dry ice machine set off the sport centre's alarms and we were evacuated!

The fire brigade (when they finally arrived - I'm glad it wasn't a real emergency) were relieved to be applauded (and wolf-whistled) onto the scene. Well, it is Slawit - they're used to being greeted by half bricks and empty beer bottles in these parts.

The all-clear given and now pushed for time, the boys closed out the night with Prayer/Bad Name/Rosie and Don't Stop Believing.

On a Bon Jovi-heavy occassion, I think we can put this down as One Wild Night?
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Reviews Thread Empty Rock Cafe, 11 October 2007

Post  TommyDGNR8 Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:18 am

You don't want to hear about Mark Steel, do you*?

I'll just cut'n'paste this little snippet from elsewhere;

The havoc on the roads meant that Jagged Edge, too, had been delayed and, consequently, we caught the last half hour of their set in a nearby pub. What we saw included a couple of my favourites - Carry On, Wayward Son and Don't Stop Believing but the biggest treat was when I nipped out to rescue the car from the multi-storey before the midnight lock-in; Danny's solo showcase (Malmsteen's Adagio leading into one of his own compositions) sounded utterly fabulous echoing around the Piazza - a real Stranger On The Shore-from-a-lone-open-window moment.

* If you do, it's here; http://www.thetalkboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=35938#35938
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 pm

TommyDGNR8 wrote:You don't want to hear about Mark Steel, do you*?

I'll just cut'n'paste this little snippet from elsewhere;

The havoc on the roads meant that Jagged Edge, too, had been delayed and, consequently, we caught the last half hour of their set in a nearby pub. What we saw included a couple of my favourites - Carry On, Wayward Son and Don't Stop Believing but the biggest treat was when I nipped out to rescue the car from the multi-storey before the midnight lock-in; Danny's solo showcase (Malmsteen's Adagio leading into one of his own compositions) sounded utterly fabulous echoing around the Piazza - a real Stranger On The Shore-from-a-lone-open-window moment.

* If you do, it's here; http://www.thetalkboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=35938#35938

hard on the eye?? hey you mr! and who gave you permission? page 13 of the talkboard nice pic over dan's shoulder of 2 dudeish looking cowboys? hmmm

Great pic all the same lol! Cant think who might have took it Very Happy

Jason
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyDGNR8 Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Heh! Heh!  David Bailey, Lord Snowdon, whatsisname that took that picture...It seems all the best photographers are a bit, erm, unphotogenic!!Was York as cool as it should be?
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:35 am

awww man york was mega! good pub welcoming people and the expected freaky dancer

Very good night. we were a bit aprehensive about YORK on a thursday night but it was fab. Tommy, get november 1st in your diary. then we will show you really how good we are!

Jason
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Reviews Thread Empty Birdwell WMC, 27 Oct 2007

Post  TommyDGNR8 Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:17 am

Time signatures. Complicated things - collar one of the boys at the next gig if you want to know the technicalities but, to most of us, they just define how many times you pump your fist or swing your pants in any given period.

Rock timings tend to be pretty straightforward.  Sure, Genesis, Rush and the like have explored more obscure rhythms but you can't headbang in 7/4.

At least I didn't think you could.

Last time I was in Barnsley we got back to my mate's car to find it, very badly, resprayed. Parking a car with a full-back-window Town sticker within a quarter of a mile of Oakwell on matchday probably wasn't the brightest move, in retrospect. We probably wouldn't have been surprised to find the windows in or the thing on bricks, but painted? You've got to hand it to the Barnsley boys for originality.

No such behaviours expected at Birdwell WMC - we found the venue easily and it was a pleasant change to arrive somewhere with a decent car park.

In the front door and ~ WHERE IN THE NAME OF LEMON-SCENTED FUDGE DID THAT COME FROM?? Just how old was that promo poster in the foyer? Haven't seen that much hair since they cancelled The Salon.

The hall, it has to be said, is a belter. Good big stage and dancefloor - looks like they've spent a few bob on their own lighting and sound systems. From what I could gather, the club is just restarting its rock nights after a break and the forward programme looks quite inviting with Jam and Def Leppard tributes amongst others.

Unfortunate, then, that the end-of-the-month bank balance blues was playing and the crowd was, by Jaggie standards, sparse.

Well, it was Barnsley's loss because tonight's performance was one of the very best. Outstanding sound, a great choice of material, everyone (including Dave R, despite his man flu!) in great voice - it was just one of those nights when it all came together.

Highlights - Blue Collar Man just gets better and better, Wayward Son was fabulous, the look of disbelief on the faces of the guys at the bar when Dan was in full flow during Comfortably Numb, a really big drum sound, the best mad dancer ever.

"She wouldn't be doing that if she knew you were going to write about her".

That was sweeping the floor with her hair. Don't they have enough immigrants to exploit as cleaners in Barnsley or something? This rock chick had a novel take on dancing and to say she grooved to the beat of her own drum would get us back to her 7/4 headbanging. I'd have put it down to the Newkie Broon but I think it might've been magic.

Bear with me...

She had her pet leprechaun with her! Seriously! She had her own leprechaun! I've never seen anyone riverdance to Guns'n'Roses before. Surreal. And somehow apt.

Bloody good show. I think we'll probably go back there.

I might have to go in disguise, mind.
TommyDGNR8
TommyDGNR8
a bit of a poster
a bit of a poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content